Tuesday, July 15, 2003

oh... my... god...

er, ok, today was so very interesting... so very shocking... so very wonderful.... hee hee...

I came into work at 8 this morning... we had some last minute things to get finished before we opened the store at 11:30... I had to assemble a microwave cart and a baker's rack... not my normal signing duty (putting signs all around the store... basically putting prices on everything and most shelves and whatnot...)... all week I had been doing signs by myself... not an easy task for such a huge store... I was running around like a chicken with its head cut off... supposedly (or so I was told when I was given sign duty), it's a very high responsibility job... signs NEEDED to be up before we could open and they NEEDED to be accurate, right price on the right shelves and displays, for the right merchandise... anyway... it was an easy job, it was just kept me super busy... anyway... so, like I said, I did it mostly by myself... with very little manager assistance or guidance... not to toot my own horn, but it's true..... :)

anyway... the store opened this morning... they had assigned me to one of the cash registers... I didn't get much practice before the store opened on registers, so I had to call my manager, Sherry, over to me quite a bit for some help, but I eventually sorta got the hang of it...

this afternoon Sherry called me aside to talk to me... I had no idea what she wanted... she asked me what my availability is... I told her I'm available anytime but I really prefer days... then she says "so, like around 8 to 4 or 5 is good for you?" I said definitely, that was great... and she said "ok, well, we're thinking about maybe getting you trained on something else and I just wanted to know when you were available... let me talk to Chris (store manager) and I'll get back to you... " I said ok... and that was that... I went back to my register...

a little while later, Chris walks by me and askes me if Sherry had asked me when I was available yet... I said yes she had... then he went and had a huddle with Sherry... I was like "hmmm... what's going on?!?!"...

then a few minutes later Chris comes back and takes me aside a bit... and he said "so, you can work week days? like 8 to 5-ish? that would be ok?" I was like "oh yes, that would be great for me..." and he goes "well... good... you've demonstrated that you can work really well on your own, unsupervised, and we were really impressed with that..." I was starting to get nervous... this had to be something good... then he goes "so, we're wanting to put you up in the office and make you office manager" OFFICE MANAGER?!?!?!?!?!? I just about jumped... I wanted to cry... I wanted to get totally giddy and tell chris how wonderful this was... tell him that's the job i've been looking for... for MONTHS... that this is totally what I want.... so, he was like "how do you feel about that? would you be interested?" and I was like "oh, yes, yes, definitely, I would SO be interested... thank you SO much" and he seemed to be pleased with my response... he said that I will start training tomorrow... it'll be an 8-4 or an 8-5 job (I can't remember... I got so giddy, it was hard to pay close attention)... I will RARELY work weekends... full-time... half of my time I'll be working on inventory and I'll be in charge of doing price changes and stuff... and the other half of my time will be office manager stuff... I'll learn what all that is this week... and i'll be working a lit with Sherry (who I love, she's great and so nice).......... AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

do you know how happy I am??? I can't believe this... I really can't........ if they never assigned me to do signs on that very 1st day, would I still be offered this job? did they make me do signs on purpose? did they see that I had a degree and thought that maybe they should "test" me out, see how well I do on my own? Katherine, the chick that, on the 1st day, assigned people jobs, said that she randomly chose me for signs... was that a lie??

I am so thrilled I can't hardly stand it....

I don't know if I'm getting a pay raise yet... but I would think so, huh? we'll see........

oh lord... I am so happy...

3:32 PM CT  :: 

Comments: Post a Comment


The Streets of
  Where I'm From

Just Another Girl
Tricia's Journal



powered by
blogger pro